Wednesday, May 20, 2009

What I'm Eating this Week: My gradual re-introduction to the Kitchen

I've been eating out a lot over the last week or so. When I came home on Sunday night and looked around the kitchen all I could do was wince. The fridge was smelly and empty and the pantry was completely devoid of inspiration. I was getting into a rut. I needed an old favorite. Something easy, healthy, and of most of all tasty. But I'm leaving again this weekend, so I don't want to be stocking up on perishables.

At the store last night I remembered a staple dish that I have made a dozen times, a dozen ways, and for a dozen different occasions. It is fast and always a crowd pleaser: individual size pizzas. Here is the version I made last night and some suggestions for other ingredients. I have to thank Blaze cuz she got me started on this.

Whole Wheat Tortilla or Pita
Pizza sauce (I found some in a convenient squirt bottle)
Spinach
Spices - I used truffle salt, Italian spice grinder, and red pepper flakes
Turkey pepperoni
olives
mushrooms
fat free shredded mozzarella
a few shaves Parmesan cheese

Other Options:
chicken sausage, banana peppers, roasted red peppers, fresh basil or herbs, a bbq chicken version with scallions, fresh tomatoes, a turn of olive oil, very adventurous - an egg

Bake on a baking sheet or pizza stone for about 10 min at 300 - 350 degrees - just until the cheese is melted. How simple is that? I made one for dinner, and one for lunch today.

No comments: