Saturday, February 7, 2009

Hearty Lunch

Today I made the second of the two recipes that Blaze sent me. Blaze got this recipe from Snickerdoodle, so I have to thank them both for sending it my way. It is veggie, healthy, and flavorful! And really quite easy. Enjoy!

Black Bean Stew over Coconut Lime Rice

for the black bean stew:
2 tbs olive oil
1 medium onion, chopped fine
large handful of yellow baby carrots
1 clove garlic, chopped
2 tsp ground cumin
1 tsp cayenne pepper
salt and pepper to taste (I used a little truffle salt cuz why not?)
2 cups vegetable stock
2 cans black beans (30 oz total)
half a pound of frozen corn
large can of stewed tomatoes
I also added a bit of cinnamon, definitely optional

sweat the onion, carrots and garlic in the olive oil over medium heat in a stock pot until onion is soft. add seasonings and cook for a few minutes more. enjoy lovely aroma of onions and cumin. add stock, corn and one can of rinsed black beans. bring to a simmer. in a mixing bowl with a stick blender (or in a food processor) puree the tomatoes and second can of rinsed black beans. add tomato mixture to pot and simmer on low about 20 minutes.

for the coconut lime rice:
1 1/2 c basmati rice (I used brown jasmine rice)
14 oz can of lite coconut milk
1 1/4 c water
1 tbs sugar
juice of one lime (I added the zest too)
2 tsp salt
1/8 c chopped cilantro

incorporate all ingredients except cilantro in a medium saucepan and bring to a boil. reduce heat and simmer until all liquid has been absorbed, about 25 minutes (mine took forever, I am terrible at cooking rice). fluff rice with a fork and mix in cilantro.

2 comments:

martha said...

I was going to be PO-ed if I didn't get credit for that amazing delish dinner!

Unknown said...

Where the heck do I find coconut milk?? This looks fab!